Tuesday, March 31, 2009

More Tender Mercies from the Lord


There were many very interesting stories providing additional information and insight about the Ganado Branch, which I want to record before I forget them. I truly feel like the Lord blessed this project in many, many ways, and will yet bless those who participated, and who will read our history:

1) In the early stages of doing computer research (since we have no real library readily available) I discovered that one of Brigham Young's grandsons, Mahonri Young, best known as the sculptor of the Seagull Monument and This is the Place Monument, was also an early visitor to Ganado. BYU has several of his etchings, one called "Baling Hay at Ganado". After seeing it, I was pretty sure that it must have been done at next door at the Hubbell Trading Post. When I finally caught up with the curator, he confirmed that it was the back side of their big barn.

They still have the original hay baler there, which must now be at least 120 years old. Maybe in 1917, Mahonri was the first Mormon in Ganado, who knows... The BYU gave us permission to reprint. We have more of the details of that etching in the book.
2) In addition, Robert T. Barrett, one of BYU's artists, gave us permission to reprint his inspiring painting showing "the Hearts of the Children, turning to their Fathers. "



3) The Gallup Independent gave permission to use two of their articles about water development.
4. The LDS church also gave permission for us to reprint several photos, and articles.
All of these little details added to the interest, and hopefully the power of the story of Ganado. I so appreciated their willingness to share with us.


5. One of the first stories we learned when we arrived here in 2007, was about the Navajo family in Crystal, who provided a hogan where President Kimball could recover from his heart attacks. I later found that story via internet archive sites on LDSlibrary.com. My appreciation of his great effort and sacrifice in behalf of the Navajo, Hopi, and Apache people has grown immensely during the past 4 months I've worked on this project. What a huge debt we owe him.

6. One of Steve's nieces and her husband donated to our project about 2 days before I needed to have the copy in. She happened to mention that her father-in-law Monte Higgins had actually served a mission down here, working in Ganado, Steamboat, Kinlichee, & Wide Ruins. Because this was in 1962-63, it was one of the earliest dates of any missionary I had tracked down. I called him and did a phone interview. He shared wonderful, and very unique stories about his experience here: How a missionary band used to travel the reservation in a bright red "Mormon Show Bus" performing at fairs, carnivals, etc. In conjunction with the performers, came a 2nd bus with displays and dioramas of the Book of Mormon, which the missionaries discussed after the "show."
They also taught religion classes at the BIA schools. Kids had the choice of taking the courses from the Catholics, Presbyterians, Mennonites, or Mormons, once a week. From this experience came most of their converts...as well as the baptism of his future wife to be, who was a school teacher at Wide Ruins, which is about 20 miles south of here! That also was a unique story. Hope you get to read it.
I was thrilled to be able to add this story to our collection, even though it meant adding a full new page. Thanks, Higgins family.

7. After the proof sheets came back, we continued to do more editing, and kept sending changes up via e-mail. Carol Holland at the BYU press, was so accommodating, and never hollared at me once! I had to make at least 5 donor page changes, because we kept getting more money for the project! What a wonderful blessing that has been from the Lord --and from family and friends.

8. Last Thursday, our seminary supervisor, Milton Watts, was looking at the proof sheets, and commenting on the book. He eventually came to a page showing "two unidentified sister missionaries" and exclaimed, "This missionary is my sister-in-law Stella Thompson from Sheep Springs!" Of course, I had to add that correction in. That was pretty neat. Those are what I mean by the "tender mercies of the Lord." What a help!

9. Finally all the corrections were sent in, or so I thought. Then last Sunday, March 29, Sister Ludlam's son-in-law, Matt Nelson, was looking through our book, and pointed out on the missionary page, that I had some wrong names. As it turned out he had served in the Alberquerque Mission with several of the missionaries, though he had not worked in Ganado. I had thought this area had been in the Phoenix Mission during the 90's, but not so. Through his help I was able to find their mission site, and make many name changes, plus add more information about missionaries. I thought it was strange, when I had called the APM mission, and they didn't have any listing of some of the missionaries who I knew had served here. Now I know why, I was calling the wrong mission. I wish I had discovered it sooner, but I added in as much as I had room for, by changing the font size to a pt. 10. I'm so thankful that Matt spoke up.

I am sure, there are still many errors, and many unanswered questions, but at this point, this is the best I can do. Maybe Matt and his wife Kasandra, can do a Volume II some day!

1 comment:

Eaglehavenwest said...

It's such a boost to our testimonies to see how the Lord helps in getting his work done. Its wonderful that you have had his spirit with this project. Congratulations on this great accomplishment!