Thursday, March 26, 2009

Branch History Project Completed



Isn't that a beautiful cover for our branch history! It was designed by Ben Long, who is also from Blanding, but now lives here in Ganado. The photo was taken by former Sr. missionary Grace Klepacz. I think the two talents combined to create something truly awesome!

I feel like I've been tied to the computer for more than two months now, so if you've wondered where I've been...here's the scenario.
--In November I asked our branch president if he thought we could put together a branch history so we had a record of what had been done in the branch since it began... and he said, "Let's go for it."
Part of the journey of this project was to get participants to see where they'd been and where they were now now--sort of their spiritual journey. I wanted to help the branch discover new things about themselves, as well as the history of the church here in Ganado.

In the initial presentation I used President Eyring's quote: “Tonight and tomorrow night, you might pray and ponder, asking the questions: Did God send a message that was just for me? Did I see His hand in my life or the lives of my children? I will do that. And then I will find a way to preserve that memory for the day that I, and those that I love, will need to remember how much God loves us and how much we need Him." Oct. 2007

I truly believe this has begun to happen, and that their stories, and the stories of the great work that President Kimball did on the reservation will open their eyes to how the desert is starting to bloom as a rose. I hoped that as members remembered and recorded those important spiritual experiences it would strengthen their resolve to endure to the end, and that it would also help others who are struggling.
On January 30 we had a big celebration dinner for all those who got their stories in on time. We had about 40 attend and had a delicious Chinese New Year dinner, which Sisters Dille and Smith helped us fix.


During the two months they were writing, I was doing research about missionary work here on the reservation --especially here in Ganado, The Placement program, and digging out information about our branch. I wish I'd had more time, but I pulled together as much as possible.

Financing the project.
When we found out how much the book was going to cost, I started praying for a way to get it done without going into debt for the next 6 months, and sent out this initial e-mail to family and friends:
It’s really a paradox that success sometimes creates problems. I hoped we’d have 20-25 stories come in from the Ganado Branch, and Elder Wilcox and I planned to pay for printing the book. I anticipated it would cost between $1000-$2000. During the past two months I’ve worked hard doing writing workshops, calling and encouraging, and visiting members in their home, helping them to write their stories. The result was that over 50 stories were submitted, and the book will be twice as big as anticipated, which of course is wonderful but it will cost more. The 1st printer’s bid came back Friday and it was over $7000. After I picked myself up off the floor, I began worrying how we could ever pay for it. Neither our branch, which only has a yearly budget of $900, nor the Stake had money to help us. And then I remembered the Savior saying, “Ask, and it will be given; knock and it shall opened.” So, I’m writing to ask for your help.

We can still come up with our original financial commitment, but we are asking for donations to help raise the balance. If you felt you could support this endeavor to help us publish these books to be used for reactivation, and retention in Ganado, we would welcome a donation of any size and consider it a great blessing. You can mail a check to Steve Wilcox at Box #681 Ganado , Az 86505 If you can help the missionary cause here on the reservation we thank you so much, and if you can’t, we still love and appreciate you. I’m completing layout this week, and taking it to a printer next week, so a prompt reply would be most advantageous.

Let me highlight a few things that have happened since we began this family history project in November:

1. I promised them that the Spirit of Elijah would help them find the information they would need for their family story, as well as for their ancestors. I’ve literally seen their hearts turn to their fathers, and to their children as they’ve written and researched. (Malachi 4:5-6)

2. Sister Nez was the first one to bring her story and photos in. Her mother was an early member joining the church in the 70’s; she just passed away in October. She wrote both her story and her mom’s.
In addition she contacted all her family finding wonderful photos of grandparents long gone which she was able to identify. This is the beginning of a great genealogical work for this sweet sister who suffers from Parkinson’s disease.

3. The Clarkes who were recently reactivated wrote their stories testifying of the Book of Mormon.
Both the mom and dad completed the book since coming back in July. (Incidentally, Brother Clarke just received the Melchizedek priesthood this month, and was put in as a counselor in the branch. Saturday we start the Temple Preparation Classes for them. What a joy to us!)

4. Another sister who has not been active for some time, wrote a wonderful story of the early years of the Ganado branch and her experiences in the Placement program. She provided most needed information about the early days of the branch. Many others who were on Placement also wrote fondly of these experiences.

5. Other sisters captured the experiences of growing up traditionally, and then showed how her life changed as they accepted the gospel.

6. Another sister, who isn’t even baptized yet, has been diligently writing, calling, and finding out information about her mother’s family, and has taken it clear back to the Long Walk. Her son Corey was baptized last April

7. One faithful sister showed in her sweet humble story how faithfully living the gospel and teaching it to your children can produce missionaries and temple marriages even here on the reservation. Last week and next her family will help her do the temple work for her parents.

8. Another sister who lost her 7 year old son last year told of her struggles with grief and how the Gospel has given her hope and reactivated her in the church.

9. Several people who overcame addictions wrote of their struggles and how the Gospel has given them strength to continue on.

10. A member of our Stake presidency wrote about what it was like being a missionary here in the 70’s. It is great having both a before and after picture of him!

11. Another sister told how her father was the one who donated land to the LDS church, so that a real chapel could finally be built. She has done temple work for four individuals in her family since writing her story! So the work moves on… no “unhallowed hand” can stop it.

I could tell more, but that’s the book’s job. I hope you know enough now that you have a glimpse of what these stories comprise of, and that you’ll want to help. Thank you for lettings us share this, Love, Elder and Sister Wilcox

What happened next:
The very next day after I sent this out, Sister Stubbs called and suggested I contact the BYU Press, telling me that they publish family stories. I did that and was relieved to find out their bid was half as much as the first printer. Already the burden seemed lighter.

That very week we received many e-mails and promises to help us on the project, and then the checks started coming in. We're not quite to our goal of $4500, but we have over $3500 and we know we can make up the difference, whatever that should be.

These wonderful donors have really eased the pressure of getting the book published, though there was still plenty of work to do. Not all of the stories were even typed. Many came and told their story to me and I typed them in. But most wrote their story, some even e-mailed it to me, which was a huge help. But universally, they brought wonderful photos. which I scanned. Many were old photos that had to be digitally repaired on Adobe photoshop. Nearly 500 photos were scanned, converted to B&W and many repaired. It took a lot of time just to do that! Needless to say, my eyes started giving me problems before the task was done. Thankfully the Lord has blessed me, and the task is completed, and the book is at the printers, and will hopefully be back before we leave.

1 comment:

A&AWilcox said...

Sounds like you will be ready for a nice long break by the end of the month!