Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ganado Branch History Project



Yep, it's the English teacher coming out in me! I've asked the branch to write about their spiritual journey in life, and what they've learned from those experiences. Next Friday, Jan. 30 is their deadline, and I've had pretty good results with at least 6 early birds, who have their stories and photos in all ready. That is really encouraging.

As a reward for those meeting deadline, the sister missionaries are helping us put together a Chinese New Years buffet next Friday, and we'll all have a chance to share some of our experiences while enjoying great food.
Sister Dille ran a catering business for 40 years, so she is a Godsend in this endeavor, as I'm spending a lot of time writing, prodding, scanning, etc.

I gave the initial presentation about the project on the 5th Sunday in Nov. via a power point slide show. At the Christmas party, I did a shortened version of that, and was able to contact about 50 more new people. Then on the first of Jan. I pulled in all the ones who were at church, and presented it again during Sunday School class. I also gave two writing workshops, and then started going house to house doing the presentations to those I'd missed. I still haven't cornered everyone, but I gave it my best shot. If I hadn't had such a banged up knee we would have done a lot more. I hope the Holy Ghost will keep bugging them for me. I'm counting on that.
My goal is to get layout all done in Feb. and get it published in March, and have it ready to distribute before we leave in April. I hope it will be a valuabe treasure, and remind them about the things they need to "remember."

Chapters will include: Placement participants, Ganado branch memories, Ganado area information, Missionaries, and then family histories. I've been calling and e-mailing everyone I can track down who may have worked here over the past 30 years. The internet has also provided some amazing information. I even found an etching at the BYU art museum done my Mahonri Young entitled Baling Hay in Ganado. It was done in 1917, and I suspect it was sketched next door at the Hubbell trding post. There is an old hay baler there, that might have been the one in the pix. I've got a bit more research to do regarding that.

Also discovered that Steve Young made two separate trips down here to talk to kids at Ganado High School. Found out who all our past mission presidents were, one being the illustrious J Ballard Washburn from Page, Az who is a Blanding boy made good. For years he was a doctor at Page, Az but is especially remembered for his kindness to the Navajos, which is what I hope to be remembered for also. He is a great example. More later.. on this endeavor.

No comments: